Associate Professor in Strategic Communications at the University of Louisville
Lead Instructor, IMC 618 - PR Concepts & Strategy
2012 Alexia Vanides Online Teaching Award Recipient
Karen Freberg is an adjunct faculty member for the West Virginia University IMC Graduate Online program.
Freberg has presented at several U.S. and international research conferences, including
ones in Australia, Brazil, China, Ireland, Greece, Italy, Ireland, Slovenia, Spain,
Sweden, The Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. In addition to academic conferences,
Freberg has presented at professional and trade conferences such as PRSA, SXSWedu,
and Cannes Lions.
Freberg is also a research consultant in social media and crisis communications and has worked with several organizations and agencies such as Firestorm Solutions, Hootsuite, Kentucky Derby Festival, IMC Agency, DHS, CDC, National Center for Food Protection and Defense (NCFPD), Kentucky Organ Donor Affiliates, and the Colorado Ski Association. This experience led her to be a 2015 Plank Center Fellow for General Motors (GM), where her responsibility was to work with the PR and social media teams forming best practices and recommendations on social media measurement strategies and influencer marketing practices.
Freberg has coordinated and advised various companies on the areas of social media pedagogy and certification programs, such as Hootsuite (Advanced Social Media Certification and #HootAmb), Meltwater (certification program), Adobe (EDUMax Thought Leader), and Hubspot (Education program and podcast).
Along with her teaching, Freberg’s research has been published in several book chapters and in academic journals such as Public Relations Review, Media Psychology Review, Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management and Health Communication.She also serves on the editorial board for Psychology for Popular Media Culture, Corporate Communication, Marketing Education Review, Journal of Public Relations Research, and Case Studies in Strategic Communication (CSSC). Freberg is also professionally active serving on the executive committee for the PRSA Entertainment and Sports section and is a regular contributor and a young professionals award judge for Front Office Sports.
Before coming to the University of Louisville, Freberg earned a PhD in Communication and Information at the University of Tennessee in May 2011, and a Master's degree in Strategic Public Relations at the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Southern California in August 2007. Freberg received her Bachelor’s of Science degree in Public Relations at the University of Florida in August 2005.
Past Student Feedback
- Dr. Freberg is an excellent instructor and an expert in the field of PR concepts and strategies. She was helpful with her suggestions, and she was ALWAYS encouraging. Before the class ended, I was already implementing many of the strategies I learned in this class, creating a smarter work environment while performing my job duties. Students who land in her class are truly fortunate!
- Great feedback for each assignment turned in every week. As the projects make up our final, it is nice to know where we have too much or not enough and what to change while we still have time to do it. It was great that she was motivational and friendly, and was always so excited about our ideas we shared each week.
- Prof. Freberg did a fantastic job participating in the discussion posts and giving quality feedback. Having her feedback in a timely manner allowed me to make vital adjustments to subsequent posts and assignments.
- “Crisis Communication Panel” WVU, IMC Weekend—June 2010
NCA, San Francisco—Nov. 2010
- “The rich get richer: Online and offline social connectivity predicts subjective loneliness”Public Relations Review, December 2010