Mentoring is the pairing of an individual (mentor) who has expert knowledge or skill with someone (mentee) desiring to gain that knowledge or skill in order to further develop professional expertise. – Michael Zey, The Mentor Connection
In 2020, the WVU Reed College of Media launched a new Integrated Marketing Communications & Data Marketing Communications Mentorship Program. After a successful first year, the program is now seeking applications for mentors for the 2021 Mentorship Program open to IMC, Data and Digital Marketing Communications alumni. The students application will open in the end of November. 2021 Marketing Communications Mentor Applications will be accepted through Friday, December 11, 2020.
This program is designed to leverage human relationship between an experienced industry mentor and an aspiring early-career professional. Mentors will volunteer their time and expertise to help guide students through academic and professional pursuits.
Ground Rules of the Program
- The 2021 IMC, Data & Data Mentorship Program will run March 1 through August 1, 2021.
- Mentors and students wishing to participate must apply and be selected. Information provided during application will be used for pairing purposes.
- The goals for each individual participating in the mentorship program will be determined by the mentor and student during their first meeting. Please Note: Finding a job and/or therapy are not an appropriate goals for mentorship. Career guidance, resume/application advice, how to make the most of the WVU graduate experience, and networking support are appropriate goals.
- Participating mentors and students are expected to connect at least once each month for the duration of the mentorship program. The mentorship pair will determine the dates, times and mode of their meetings.
- All mentors participating in the mentorship program must attend bi-monthly zoom meetings held by administration.
- Mentors and students are expected to participate in an evaluation of the program at the conclusion of the season.
To ensure the success of the 2021 IMC, Digital & Data Mentorship
Program, these ground rules for participation are non-negotiable. By submitting
an application to serve as a mentor, you are acknowledging your willingness to
maintain the standards established for mentors in the program for the good of the
student(s) you are assigned to mentor.