Get an introduction to the technical and conceptual skills needed to create and add videos into integrated marketing campaigns. This course covers the basics of selecting the best hardware and software for video projects. Students gain hands-on experience in shooting and producing engaging videos.
Digital Storytelling is an elective in the IMC master's degree program and a required course in the Digital Marketing Communications master's degree program. As part of the course, students complete the Adobe Premiere Pro Certification.
Course Learning Objectives
Upon successful completion of IMC 643, students will be able to:
- Examine the history of filmmaking, digital video and YouTube.
- Learn the basic characteristics of viral videos.
- Explore the cutting edge of vlogging, video newsletters and other uses for video in marketing.
- Determine the best cameras and software for audio and digital production.
- Learn the basics of digital audio production for podcasts, web and video.
- Understand the elements of framing, lighting and shooting for producing successful digital videos.
- Develop basic video editing skills including splitting, transitions, titles and more.
- Produce an original short marketing video using digital production, audio integration and editing techniques learned in class.
- Upload an original short video to blogs and YouTube.
- The History of Filmmaking and Elements of Effective Marketing Videos
- Responsible Content Creation, the Needs Analysis and the Video Production
- The Basics of Videotaping and an Introduction to Storyboarding
- It’s a Wrap. Future Video Trends
- Introduction to Video Editing
- Shooting Video, B-roll and Recording Interviews using the Scripted Storyboard
- Adding Text and Graphics to the Premiere Timeline
- Understanding YouTube & Applying Color Correction and Grading
Top 3 Course Takeaways
- Effectively write a production-ready script for a 4-minute marketing video.
- Learn how to use a smart phone or digital video camera and audio recording device to effectively shoot high-definition video for recording interviews and b-roll for a marketing video.
- Edit a marketing video using a production-ready script and the video assets you have recorded using your smart phone or digital video camera and upload it to a YouTube channel you create as part of the final project.