Full-time Faculty at the Albers School of Business and Economics
2014 Alexia Vanides Teaching Award Recipient
He writes, teaches, researches and consults in digital/social/mobile
media, emerging media marketing, data privacy, business communications, principles
of marketing, and integrated marketing communications.
His book “Social Media Ethics Made Easy” published by Business Expert Press (available on Amazon), explains why the FTC expects every business to have a social media policy and how to create one. The issues in this book affect every single business from for-profits, to nonprofits, to government and educational institutions. It also addresses the impact on every single social/digital media participant and why they must learn about these guidelines so they can protect their own personal brand.
Barnes has consulted with teams and executives on strategic communications messaging, public relations and marketing initiatives, including generating diversified revenue sources for nonprofits. His clients have ranged from small businesses to Fortune 500 companies, nonprofits, and government agencies. He has provided consulting and training to over 80 companies and organizations nationwide and is known for his results and accomplishments. As a journalist and storyteller, he has provided the leadership for teams that have won countless Emmy Awards and the prestigious Edward R. Murrow Award for Outstanding Journalism.
Past Student Feedback
- Professor Barnes was a spectacular instructor. He raised thought–provoking issues and questions, fostered a comfortable learning setting, and showed everyone that he truly cares about their success and education.
- Professor Barnes' feedback to not only my own discussion posts, but other classmates' as well brought to light new information, and his responses included helpful links and facts that I think broadened the learning landscape of our entire class. His feedback on assignments also helped me understand what makes a good paper, and my work improved with each assignment.
- I appreciated the constant communication from the instructor, and thought he did a great job so that every student could feel noticed. Not an easy task digitally! Thank you!
- Recipient of the Alexia Vanides IMC Teaching Award, West Virginia University.
- Edward R. Murrow, Outstanding Local News, Vice President and News Director, KOMO-TV Seattle
- Emmy® Best Local News, Vice President and News Director, KOMO-TV, Seattle