Workload: (10-15 hours per week)
Message Customization (DMC 662) offers an exploration of how data can allow marketing communicators to customize messages to target audiences as small as a single consumer. Communicating to a mass audience is a tricky proposition, as consumers demand a more personalized approach. Can you reach a mass audience while still insuring that each potential consumer feels like you’re communicating directly to them? Students will examine how different messaging strategies impact different advertising and marketing goals and which data can most influence potential messaging strategies.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of DMC 662, students will be able to:
- Explain cohorts, Prizm, VALS and the role of cluster systems in message development.
- Compare transactional versus behavioral data for use in developing calls to action in messaging.
- Develop strong offer and call to action tests.
- Identify how to conduct meaningful and measurable message testing across media and channels.
- Analyze successful message tests by audience segment through case review.
- Criticize message platforms by audience segment to assess success.
- Customization and Context: Keys to Effective Messaging
- The Context Framework: Available and Permissioned
- The Framework: Personal
- The Context Framework: Authentic and Purposeful
- Communicating Along the Customer Journey
- Message Optimization Through Testing
- Message Development and Automation
Top 3 Course Takeaways
- Use the context marketing framework to effectively customize marketing messages.
- How to reach consumers in personal and relevant ways in today’s infinite media era.
- Understand testing and automation as tools to refine and deploy customized messages.