Top Three Course Takeaways
- Understand the complexity that culture can play in effective marketing and communications.
- Experience inclusive marketing practices that cater to Gen Z and millennials’ core values in a world of social advocacy, progression and justice.
- Understand the significance of ethics and corporate social responsibility when communicating with diverse or multicultural audiences.
- Defining Diversity and Inclusion, and Understanding the Business Case and Navigating Today's Contentious Racial Waters
- The Influence of Culture on Marketing and Communications To Multicultural Consumers
- Millennials/Gen Z and The Impact of Social Media on the Discussion of Diversity and Inclusion and Brands
- Marketing to and Communicating with an African-American Audience
- Marketing to and Communicating with a Hispanic Audience
- Marketing to and Communicating with an LGBTQ Audience
- When Companies Get it Wrong; The Role of Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility in the Era of the #BlackLivesMatter Movement
WORKLOAD: (8-10 hours per week)
This course examines the practical application of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging in integrated marketing communications. Students explore the impact of brand strategy focused to the diverse consumer, as well as the ethics and corporate social responsibility of marketing communicators when engaging diverse audiences.
Course Learning Outcomes:
- Define the role of marketing and communications as it pertains to portraying a brand or person’s acceptance and/or celebration of diversity and inclusion in the marketplace.
- Identify the benefits of relevant/authentic communications and marketing to African-American/Black American, Hispanic/Latinx, and LGBTQ+ audiences.
- Recognize the inherent challenges associated with effective diversity/multicultural marketing and communications.
- Analyze the cultural miscues many companies/brands make.
- Discuss the significance of ethics and corporate social responsibility when communicating with diverse or multicultural audiences.