Top Three Course Takeaways
- Understand the mechanics of visual perception and memory.
- Apply strategies of visual perception to page design.
- Develop skills in designing visuals for print and online use.
- Understanding the Shape of Content
- Exploring Space – the Initial Frontier
- Applying Unity and Harmony in Design
- Using Form Factors to Reveal Context
- Creating Thematic Unity With Storyboards
- Deploying Effective Typography and Color
- Designing Purposeful Informational Graphics
WORKLOAD: (8-10 hours per week)
This course explores the power of imagery and how visual perception drives our memory. Students examine how to look at images, deconstruct layouts and apply color, design and typography to create effective verbo-visual messages for both print and digital channels.
Course Learning Outcomes:
- Identify and describe core principles of visual design.
- Build and utilize storyboards and layouts.
- Review the role of imagery and abstraction in content.
- Define and explain the importance of visual literacy in society.
- Design a content-driven informational visual - map, diagram or chart - based on a large data set.