Message Customization (DMC 662) offers an exploration of how data can allow marketing communicators to customize messages to target audiences as small as a single consumer. Communicating to a mass audience is a tricky proposition, as consumers demand a more personalized approach. Can you reach a mass audience while still insuring that each potential consumer feels like you’re communicating directly to them? Students will examine how different messaging strategies impact different advertising and marketing goals and which data can most influence potential messaging strategies.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of DMC 662, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate best practices in data gathering for effective message customization.
- Examine the use of transactions and triggers for use in developing call to action messaging.
- Explain customer segments, including cohorts, Prizm, VALS, and the role of other cluster systems in message development.
- Identify how to conduct meaningful and measureable message testing using control groups.
- Develop effective customized messaging.
- Introduction to Message Customization
- Recreating the “Corner Grocer” Experience
- Data Gathering
- Transactions and Triggers
- Customer Segmentation
- Message Development
- Testing and Control Groups