Workload: (8-10 hours per week)
This course is a project-based course, building a social media marketing proposal and plan for a client along with completing a social media-based certification, with a 4 out of 5 workload ranking. Estimating 8-10 hours per week.
In this course, you will complete the following industry certification:
Meltwater Social Media Marketing Certification
Meltwater Influencer Marketing Certification
Examine the latest strategies for monitoring and engaging consumers in social media from a marketing perspective. Explores popular platforms, such as Twitter and Facebook, that are used to connect with and analyze target audiences.
Social Media and Marketing is an elective in the IMC master's degree program and a required course in the Digital Marketing Communications master's degree program. As part of the course, students complete the Facebook Blueprint Certification.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of IMC 641, students will be able to:
- Provide a broad overview of social media and the social web.
- Understand the role of social media in IMC.
- Research and engage current social media communications channels.
- Evaluate what companies have done or are currently doing, and learn what makes some social media strategies succeed but others fail.
- Discover the difference between listening and monitoring on social media.
- Explore the impact influencers and advocates have on social media.
- Learn about how consumers interact socially, via word-of-mouth, and what information spreads/diffuses over social networks and how it spreads.
- Learn how to evaluate the effectiveness and ROI of a social media plan using appropriate and informative metrics for tracking performance.
- Understand the importance of trust and transparency in social media marketing.
- Understand the latest guidelines provided by The Federal Trade Commission.
- Develop a comprehensive social media marketing plan for a real company or brand.
- Introduction to Social Media
- Building a Strategic Social Media Framework
- Social Media Listening and Monitoring
- Understanding the Social Media Channels
- Paid, Earned, Shared and Owned Media
- Measurement Metrics to Quantify Success
- Ethics and Legal Implications: Truth, Trust and Transparency
Top 3 Course Takeaways
- What social media marketing is and how to utilize social media strategically for the industry.
- How to create a social media marketing plan from start to finish.
- How to strategically and creatively execute ideas for a social media marketing plan.