Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality in IMC (IMC 646) examines how brands are using transformational Augmented and Virtual Reality (AR and VR) platforms such as Google Cardboard, Samsung GearVR, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and Microsoft HoloLens to expand customer interaction and build brand affinity. This course focuses on how brands have effectively combined technologies as part of an integrated marketing communication approach. Students will complete the class by creating an AR or VR proposal for brand of their choice.
Course Level Objectives:
Upon successful completion of IMC 693, students will be able to:
- Define AR and VR, and the unique content marketing value they provide to brands.
- Select AR/VR experiences that can be used as part of an IMC plan.
- Compare and contrast the features and benefits of industry-leading AR and VR platforms.
- Evaluate the ways in which brands can use tablet/smartphone-based AR in their promotions.
- Explain how content experiences using headset-based VR platforms can engage consumers across different verticals.
- Summarize the considerations for ensuring smooth consumer access to AR/VR experiences and assess the critical success factors of an AR/VR experience.
- Produce objectives, strategies and tactics for an AR or VR experience to deliver storytelling, gaming and utility content.