Introduction to IMC (IMC 610) presents the fundamentals of Integrated Marketing Communications. Students learn and apply the IMC planning process and examine the role of integration to ensure consistency of creative strategy and complementary use of traditional and digital media. This course also provides a comprehensive orientation to the WVU IMC graduate program.
Integrated Marketing Communications (IMC) is a strategic, collaborative, and promotional business function through which a targeted audience senses consistent, persuasive, and reinforcing brand messaging.
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of IMC 610, students will be able to:
- Identify the requirements and expectations of the IMC program and employ the technology and support resources that are available.
- Define integrated marketing communications (IMC) and describe the IMC planning process.
- Prepare a detailed situation analysis on a brand, summarize its target audience and recommend targeting and segmentation strategies.
- Develop measurable marketing communications objectives and strategies.
- Construct a paid media plan, taking into account the advantages and disadvantages of both traditional and digital media.
- Design effective creative strategies and describe how they would be integrated across each IMC function.
- Prepare a public relations/social media plan, and describe the value of earned and owned media in IMC.
- Formulate direct marketing recommendations for a brand and recognize the key components of a direct marketing approach.
- Recognize the advantages and disadvantages of key marketing communications functions, and explain the importance of integrating a creative approach across them.
- Distinguish between objectives, strategies and tactics, and summarize their relationship in IMC planning.
- Evaluate the methods marketers can use to assess the effectiveness of an IMC campaign.
- Apply IMC principles and practices to develop a comprehensive IMC plan for a brand.
- IMC Orientation Week
- IMC Foundation, Research & Key Principles
- Planning, Segmentation & Targeting in IMC
- Advertising Media Planning in IMC
- Direct Marketing, Creative Strategy & Execution in IMC
- Public Relations & Social Media in IMC
- IMC Measurement & Evaluation