What is the Integrated Marketing Communications Program? – The Student Perspective

M.S. Integrated Marketing Communications student Holly Legleiter shares her thoughts on how her graduate studies benefit and compliment her full-time job as a Senior Administrator at WVU Health Sciences Campus.

Why did you choose the Integrated Marketing Communications program?

So, I had been thinking about going back to graduate school for a while and couldn't really find the perfect fit and then, after speaking with some co-workers that had already completed the program and also doing a little bit of research on my own, I found the integrated marketing communications program. I looked into the coursework and found that it looked like it was going to be the perfect fit for me and where I was with my career so I was really excited about that.

What do you think are some of the benefits of being a WVU IMC student?

I think all of it, the curriculum especially. I really enjoy the fact that the faculty are all over the United States, so they have a lot of hands-on information to give you and a lot of practical approaches. They're very much on top of their game and the coursework is very up-to-date and very relevant. It has a heavy focus in creativity, which is the side of marketing that I'm very interested in and that I that I use in my job every day.

What are some of the biggest takeaways from your IMC experience so far?

I think the most that I've takeaway from it is just being able to learn new concepts and new ideas and new theories, particularly from my professors, but also from my cohorts. Listening to their discussion points and their perspectives, it's very different than maybe what I would have said and that's helped me grow and just sort of understand a broader way to approach my job.

Have you been able to apply what you are learning in your courses to your current job?

Yes, I think so far, the idea of planning and using a campaign, or even just a broad marketing plan and strategy, helps me every day. I’m thinking about my special events and timelines and how I'm going to approach them and I’m just adding more strategy into my everyday approach to projects at work.