Professional Social Media

Professional Social Media

Social media is traditionally thought as source of entertainment and platform for informal connection with friends and family. However, in the field of marketing communications, it is also an important industry tool. Social media provides a platform for networking, idea sharing and a source of industry news.

WVU Marketing Communications Brand Ambassadors Alexis Rogers and Marissa Bailey share tips on how they leverage their professional social media channels.

Alexis Rogers

Alexis Rogers

Integrated Marketing Communications

Social Media Coordinator, Raven Fine Art Editions

Professional Twitter: @alexismrogers

What platforms do you use to promote your professional, personal brand?

I mainly use Twitter and LinkedIn to promote my professional, personal brand. I’ve had a Twitter account since 2012. I originally used the platform for entertainment and to pass time. It wasn’t until this past May that I started thinking of the platform as a networking tool. I started following and connecting with marketing professionals, and have developed some amazing relationships. There is such a supportive community within Marketing Twitter and I’m thankful for everyone I’ve met.

How would you describe your professional personal brand?

I would describe my professional, personal brand as authentic and relatable.
It’s so important to be authentic. Staying true to myself is very important for me. If someone met me in person or over Zoom, I would want them to feel that it’s the same person that’s tweeting. I love engaging with people and having conversations. I may be late on responding to people or liking tweets, but I do my best to always stay engaged and respond as much as possible.

I try to share informative content that’s also relatable. Everyone is going through something and sometimes sharing your story or experience can be very helpful.

Why do you think engaging on these platforms and keeping up with these channels is important?

Twitter is a powerful platform. I’ve heard many stories about how people got jobs from Twitter. You never know when an opportunity will present itself. Staying active and engaged on these platforms helps you stay up to date with industry news and trends. It also helps increase your credibility. Monitoring conversations or reading posts from credible people in the field is an incredible way to learn. Sharing your ideas or jumping into a conversation can help you stand out.

What tips do you have for those who are interested in running a professional account?

Find a community. Marketing Twitter is filled with amazing and knowledgeable people. I haven’t explored communities on other platforms as much, but I’m sure they exist, too. Follow people, learn from them, connect with them. Social media is like any relationship. Be supportive, genuine, helpful, and kind. Joining Twitter chats is a great way to meet people, to be able to share ideas, and to learn from others. The chats may seem overwhelming at first but Twitter chats have their own communities of great people. Once you join one, you’ll want to keep chatting in the future.

Marissa Bailey

Marissa Bailey

M.S. Integrated Marketing Communications

Professional Twitter: @MarissaBaileyWV

My favorite platform to explore right now is Twitter, where I feel I can let my personality shine through while still keeping a professional tone via industry-related content. I love using GIFs as a way to communicate my thoughts or relate to fellow users. It’s been exciting connecting with those in the marketing world since creating the professional Twitter account - while we’re all navigating the realities around marketing within the pandemic and quarantine, there is a feeling of community on the network, filled with supportive individuals.

My professional personal brand is a mixture of grad student, marketer and musical theatre fanatic. I aim to share posts covering anything from Broadway news to the latest marketing trends. It’s very exciting when those worlds collide – think arts marketing! The opportunity to really live in your niche is a major plus on Twitter – and you often find connections who share similar interests. That’s the great part of starting a professional account – there are other Twitter users out there who reach out, even if you’ve never met in person, to share common experiences.

My personal goal is to share at least three tweets per day, adding in likes and retweets for content I find interesting. This inspires me to try and come up with content I perceive as meaningful, impactful or helpful.

To me, this channel is the perfect mixture of casual conversation and professional relationship building. You don’t feel obligated to be anything you’re not, but instead are provided an outlet where you can use simply a few words to get your thoughts out there. And, if someone relates, perhaps they will feel inclined to connect – with a like, retweet or quoted tweet – giving you the opportunity to follow and learn from each other.

I’ve learned a lot from simply following other professional twitter accounts belonging to those in the marketing and arts marketing fields.

You may think about checking analytics on a brand’s account – but you can also check analytics on your own Twitter account! This tool has given me insight on if my content is making an impact, inviting others to engage. 

I often try to ask questions in my tweets – questions that swim around in my mind as a young professional in the field. By opening up the floor for this type of engagement, others are often inspired to share their thoughts or advice. Additionally, anytime I see a tweet I think is helpful, I try to retweet it or quote it to share the insight with my followers.

Interested in growing your career with a master's degree in Data, Digital or Integrated Marketing Communications? Request more information today!

Subscribe to the Blog     Tune into the Podcast

View Upcoming Integrate Online Sessions