Alumni Spotlight: Meet Melissa Cook, M.S. Data Marketing Communications

Meet Melissa Cook, M.S. Data Marketing Communications alum. Since graduating in 2018, she has become the Digital Marketing Manager at PeopleScout in Leesburg, VA. Join Melissa as she discusses her experience in the WVU M.S. Data program.

"The best lesson — data impacts everything we do! We can tell a story about a user's journey from first touch until they become a customer and beyond. Presenting that data in a way that is easily digestible to others makes it easier to suggest new and interesting marketing strategies down the line." Melissa Cook, M.S. Data Marketing Communications 2018
Melissa Cook at WVU Graduation with President Gee

Melissa Cook

M.S. Data Marketing Communications, 2018
Digital Marketing Manager at PeopleScout
Leesburg, VA

Tell us a little bit about yourself!

Hello! My name is Melissa Cook and I'm a Data graduate from 2018. I'm originally from Southern Maryland, but currently live in Leesburg, VA. I graduated from WVU with an undergrad in advertising and a master's in Data Marketing Communications. I'm married to my college sweetheart and we have an adorable 5 year old dog named Joey.

Why did you choose the WVU Marketing Communications Online Programs?

I was looking for a data-driven master's degree and found WVU's program to be really exciting. Data-driven marketing is so important and having a background in Data Marketing Communications has proven time and time again to be extremely beneficial.

How has this degree helped you in your career?

This degree has been so beneficial to my career in a number of ways. I've been able to shape my career around analytics and measuring success in all of the digital marketing tactics that I implement. I learned so much from the Data program that focused on the value of data in storytelling when presenting strategies to other marketers and beyond.

What is the best lesson you learned from the program?

The best lesson — data impacts everything we do! We can tell a story about a user's journey from first touch until they become a customer and beyond. Presenting that data in a way that is easily digestible to others makes it easier to suggest new and interesting marketing strategies down the line.

Why would you recommend the M.S. Marketing Communications programs?

These programs are such a game changer in an ever-changing field. Digital marketing is constantly evolving and the Data program keeps up with the changes being implemented. You'll learn the foundation of good data storytelling and can implement that in most situations.

What advice do you have for prospective students?

Ask questions! The network of alumni are very open to questions and the staff is always willing to sit down and answer questions you might have. This was a great decision for my career path and it could be a great next step for any digital marketer as well.

Are you a WVU Marketing Communications alum and are interested in being featured in our Marketing Communications Today blog? Submit your information here!

Interested in growing your career with a master's degree in Data, Digital or Integrated Marketing Communications? Request more information today!

Subscribe to the Blog     Tune into the Podcast

View Upcoming Integrate Online Sessions